The influx of new available technology for healthcare organizations presents both opportunities and risks, as hackers understand the value personal medical records carry, according to Dark Reading.
Here are five statistics on data breaches:
1. Researchers analyzed four healthcare data breaches and found hackers stole at least 600,000 detailed patient records, and put 3 terabytes of associated data on the Dark Web’s black market, according to InfoArmor research.
2. Of data breaches across all industries, 23 percent happen at healthcare organizations, as found in a Brookings Institution report.
3. In 2015, healthcare had the highest rate of data breaches compared to any other industry, IBM reported.
4. Most healthcare organizations (90 percent) have suffered a data breach in the last two years, according to a Ponemon Institute report.
5. The Ponemon Institute report also found data breaches cost the industry $6.2 billion over the last two years.